5 Challenges to improve your boxing
Have you ever noticed how it only takes Rocky 2 minutes 44 seconds to get into shape? Boxing requires all round fitness, with training that mixes high intensity anaerobic exercises with cardio vascular endurance - make sure you can last the full 10 rounds! Here are 5 Challenges to get you fighting fit (though these will definitely require a little more time than the classic 2:44).
Before starting any fist throwing, make sure your stance is right - the boxing stance gives you a solid base for balance and also decreases the size of your body as a target.
Your weight should be on the balls of your feet which allows you to change your position much faster than if your heels were planted on the floor.
Check out the instructional video to make sure you've got the basics.
Now that you've learnt the stance, get comfortable moving around in it. This Challenge will help you develop quick feet and the short circuit times reflect the type of endurance requires in a boxing ring.
Speed skipping is another great way to improve your footwork in the gym. Staying light on your feet is vital to avoid the dreaded whip-effect of getting hit by your own rope!
This is a great circuit which will work your shoulder strength along with developing your core. Boxing takes amazing shoulder endurance - especially when you've got your gloves on - so this Challenge wil help you develop fluid, consistent movement, building your endurance so your last round is as fresh as your first.
This Challenge works straight, hook and uppercut punches for 2 minutes each round. Stay in stance and don't drop your guard!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S