5 Instability workout Challenges
Instability workouts are an excellent way to improve your balance and keep your core muscles working to stabilize your body. Here are 5 Challenges which will test your balance along with your strength and endurance:
To start with go for the basic crunch on a swiss ball - as always aim for technique not speed in order to make the most out of this exercise and make sure you are pulling up with the abdominal muscles and not the neck.
Using a wobble board or swiss ball, hold the plank position either on forearms or fully-extended arms. Aim for 3 minutes, keeping the whole body in one line - if you find your lower back is hurting or your bum is going higher then come out of the position. Build up to the 3 minutes and keep good form!
Slow controlled raises are the name of the game in this Challenge - lift the dumbell up from our chest as you would with a bench press, extend the leg (same side as extended arm) , hold the leg extended and press the dumbbell 10 times. Repeat with your other side. Make sure your hips don't drop, if you feel them start to lower then engage your core and push your hips upwards.
Using 2 dumbbells and a swiss ball you can make your own bench; with your head and shoulders on the ball, engage your core to make your thighs and torso level. You should be pushing into your heels as a solid base for the press. Go for 3x10 reps with 30 seconds rest in between sets.
Love this Challenge from Mike T - using a medicine ball and a swiss ball you're doubly unstable! Balance on the swiss ball with your feet and on the medicine ball with your hands, then Mike wants 15 reps of push ups, impossible? Never!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S