Guides for new runners: how to train for your first 5k
Innovation Sports run regular 5k events in London, they have created some excellent training guides which will take you from zero miles a week to achieving a good time in your first race. If you're unsure where to start then this is the perfect place for the first time runner.
Running Your First 5k Training Guide provides you with a detailed 11 week plan for training for your race. It assumes a limited fitness level so if you're already very active and are only new to running then it is worth stepping into the programme at around Week 4.
It's an excellent way to form routine and each training run is around 30 minutes so can be fitted into a lunch break or anytime really!
Frequently asked questions from first time runners:
Hydration - it is important not to over drink in anticipation for a 5k, it's easy to get over excited and over compensate but just start the race hydrated and you shouldn't need to drink on route. Lugging a water bottle along with you will just slow you down anyway!
Nutrition - during your training is a great time to clean up your diet. Innovation Sports recommend upping your protein levels of your diet. In terms of the actual race day, you won't need gels for sustainance in the run - remember it will be over in around 30 minutes.
- Stretching - if you're unsure about what stretches you should do after a run then check out the Stretching and Recovery Tribe. Remember that you don't just run with your legs - you need to stretch out your hips, back and shoulders to ensure you avoid injury.
Remember to log your training, it helps you to monitor how you're doing and whenever you have a question or feel unmotivated there are thousands of Tribesports runners here to give you guidance, answers and most importantly support for you first race!
Jack A encouraged this.
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S