Keeping it clean: how you can improve your local community
Nobody likes a litter-bug, the problem is that if there's already litter around then people are more likely to dispose of their rubbish in lazy and environmentally harmful ways.
So what can we do to help?
Keep It Clean - Time to take action and go to preventative measures to make our parks, roads and town centres a nicer space to live in!
This Challenge is a simple but good one; when you're next out on a run/walk/cycle, take a bag with you and collect up at least 5 pieces of litter.
Encorporate lunges, squats and other weight bearing stretches to make the most of your litter-pick!
Time for some numbers:
The cost to the Victoria council to clear up litter is over $50 million each year!
Across the UK as a whole, McDonald's was the brand most seen as litter on the streets, making up 13% of the items found.
Fast food wrappers in general are the most common litter across the whole of the UK and cigarette packets were the most common in London.
And what about the US? On the roadways alone there is over 51 billion pieces of litter each year, that’s 6,729 items per mile. This costs $11.5 billion.
Photo of Nick B's litter pick of a 250m lane in Kent
Areas which are already littered are more likely to have a high littering rate so stop the cycle and go on a litter pick!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S