Monday Inspiration: 80 year old climbs Everest and holds his world record
3 time world record breaker, Yuichiro Miura, keeps his latest world record for being the oldest man to climb Everest.
Miura would have been 20 years old when Hilary and Tenzing conquered Everest for the first time in 1953, since then, Miura has climbed to the summit of Everest 3 times and was the first man ever to ski down it!
The 80 year old has an old rivalry over the title - his competition is the Nepalese climber Min Bahadur Sherchan, who is 16 months older than Yuichiro Miura, Sherchan started another record attempt last week to snatch the title back but unfortunately the weather conditions on Everest meant he had to abandon his climb. As monsoon season settles in this June, Sherchan will have to wait until funds can be raised and the weather behaves itself before he can try to climb Everest again.
Miura has said he will not make another attempt - "three times is enough, all I want to do now is rest". After a cup of tea, a well earned rest and a slight pause to wait for weather conditions to improve, this Japanese adventurer will be hanging up his crampons (for now at least!)
We love massive Challenges here on Tribesports and that's why Yuichiro Miura is our Monday Inspiration this week!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S