Monday Inspiration: Fauja Singh the world's oldest marathon runner
April 1st may have a reputation for tom-foolery but this is no joke; meet the inspirational marathon running Fauja Singh who turns 102 years old today!
It's quite common for runner's to discover their passion for endurance distances a bit later in life, Fauja Singh gave 'later' a whole new meaning when he began running when he was 81. Having run a 20km run (which he thought had been 20 miles) he figured that another 6 miles would be fine! In 1999, aged 89, he turned to coach Harmandar Singh with 10 weeks preparation time for his first marathon:
He turned up the first day in a 3 piece suit and a pair of trainers...I was a little reluctant to let him run down the road dressed like that in case the police saw him and though he was running from the scene of a crime! But he soon got some decent running gear and never looked back! Turning him into a marathon runner was one of the easiest jobs I ever had because he was so keen on doing it; if I'd say "we're doing 10k today" he'd say "why not 20?" - he's the best trainee I ever had.
Fauja Singh began running after his wife and fifth son passed away, but out of tragedy he found comfort in running and has since grown into a national and international legend!
"It's not easy to run a marathon, I know it will be painful but when I start it, I know I'm going to finish it"
Fauja Singh ran a total of 9 marathons, along with other 10km, half marathons and relay marathon events; he's tapering back the distances as he turns 102 but he is still raising massive amounts for charity!
It's never too late to take on a new Challenge - are you ready to Sign up for your first marathon?
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S