Nutrition to match your goals
We have hundreds of nutrition based Challenges and different nutrition tips on Tribesports; from paleo to vegan, bad-habit breakers to hydration innovations - there's a lot to choose from! But which nutrition is best for helping you reach your goal?
Let's face it, we're a community with a massive range of goals, cardio and endurance fanatics chat with weights-loving strength fiends - the nutrition we require to reach these goals can be as different as the goals themselves! So, let's take a look at common goals on Tribesports and the best way to aid them with nutrition:
Improve running and other cardio based sports
For a start, you'll be exercising over a longer period. This means you'll need to top up your water, glucose, glycogen and salt supplies as you sweat and burn more fuel. This is why if you are aiming to improve your cardio performance, your nutrition needs to include both simple and complex carbohydrates to give you the energy for the longer cardio sessions require.
Here's the top 5 recommendations from the Tribesports community on Pre-Run Meals which can be applied to many different endurance and cardio sports - if your goal is to improve on your cardio, you need to fuel your body right.
Muscle gain and strength building goals
Improving your strength with weight training requires protein for growth and recovery. Although you can get protein in your diet from meat, fish, nuts and beans, many people training towards strength and muscle growth goals will use protein shakes to supplement their dietary protein. They're a quick way to get protein to repair your muscles after a workout as well as working out cheaper than getting the same amount of protein from meat or other dietary sources.
Protein shakes pose a whole new array of choice when it comes to nutrition and your goals; whether you're striving for muscle gain, overall weight gain, lean muscle development - choosing the right protein powder will help you reach your goal whereas the wrong choice could be a massive set back.
Check out this guide on Protein Shakes: Which one is right for you and your goals? to make sure you're making the right nutrition choice for your goal when it comes to protein shakes.
Weight loss goals
Cutting down on carbs has a reputation for increasing weight loss; many people beginning a weight loss journey opt to combine cardio and low carb diets which will generally lead to slow results, both on the scales and on the road! If you're going low carb, strength training will suit you better, whilst cardio training will require some carbohydrate to fuel it.
If you're looking to lose weight, make sure you are creating a calorie deficit through eating right and increased activity levels. Finding a sport to get passionate about is a great way to motivate weight loss and will actually help you reach your goals through setting sport specific short term goals along side your long term weight loss goals.
Nutrition for weight loss goals must be 3 things:
- Interesting - why torture yourself with food you don't enjoy? Find ways to make your favourite foods healthy and cut down on portion sizes. Scratch cooking is a great way to take ownership of what you eat
- Creating calorie deficit - eating healthy means eating healthy portion sizes. Bear in mind that calories are found in healthy food as well as junk food and to reach weight loss goals, you need to be eating less calories than you're burning
- Sustainable - nutrition for a weight loss goal needs to be something that can be sustained when the goal is reached; 2 week, month long or even 6 month long 'diet plans' which exclude foood groups are not good ways to lose weight and keep it off. Your nutrition should be something that can be turned into a lifestyle change, not a quick fix
What are your fitness and sports goals? Do you fuel them with the right nutrition?
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S