When you think of gardening, you could be forgiven for thinking of this:
Yes, the old man with the watering can image is still a vital part of the gardening world but no more than the ever so sexy gardener from Desperate Housewives!
Barbara L figured out that between her 15lb wheel barrow, 10lb ladder and 5lb long handled pruning shears, she was having unexpected weights sessions during her gardening sessions.
But how much are you really doing when you don the gloves?
Clearing land and wheel barrow chores: this burns around 340 calories per hour with an assumed body weight of 150lb. There's a fine mixture of muscle movements used, from squats to lunges you will be carting away debris and calories!
Mowing the lawn: with a push mower of course (ride on mowers are essentially disappointing go-karts!) 374 calories will be shed in an hour of mowing your lawn. Though if you lawn is big enough to take an hour to mow then we are definitely hosting the Tribesports garden party there!
Weeding the garden: this burns 306 calories in an hour and Barbara calculated that on an average she does around 500 squats whilst weeding - buns of steel here we come!
So what are you waiting for? Get out in the garden and prune like you're preparing for Chelsea flower show! Hate your neighbour's unruly garden? Well why not take on January Jo's stealthy Guerilla Gardening Challenge and neaten up the neighbourhood!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S