Weight Training for Beginners: I lift things up, and put them down!
A lot of newbies to weight training have all sorts of problems getting started, here are some key points to follow to make sure that you are on the right track:
Have a structure: Don't just show up at the gym and improvise, picking up whatever is free or just happens to take your fancy. Planning leads to progress, heres a decent routine to start you off: Beginners Barbell Training
Set goals and monitor progress: How will you know if your current routine is working, or how much weight you should be using in your next session if you aren't actively tracking your progress? Having goals and seeing progress is also great for your motivation. Use the SMART model, and perhaps some of the more quantifiable objectives from this list to get you started.
Learn how to perform the exercises you have planned: Ask a gym instructor or personal trainer (if they look knowledgable), do some online research, ask a question or read the guides here on Tribesports if you are unsure of how to perform an exercise.
Stay focused: The longer you spend in the gym, the more likely it is that you are wasting time, do the work, use maximum effort in the sets required, rest adequately in between. When you are done, leave, go do something like this, don't waste too much time that you could spend out there enjoying the world doing a few extra curls, or things that aren't in your plan. Similarly stay focused on your program, and don't let others in the gym tempt you to keep chopping and changing up your routine on a regular basis. How will you know if the workout has been successful if you don't stick to it properly for a decent period of time?
- If you do want to start lifting things up, and putting them down, put them back in the right place, a bit of gym etiquette is always appreciated.
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S