What makes your heart swell?
Posted by Cags R on 10 February 2012 at 1:32 PM
With Valentines day approaching we all feel a little warm and fuzzy - or cynical and bitter depending on your current relationship status - but what is it that really affects your heart?
For the Grinch it was the magic of Christmas that made his heart grow to 3x the size but for sports people it can be the condition AHS: Athletic Heart Syndrome.
This is when your myocardium (or heart muscle) becomes 15-20% larger than normal; your resting heart rate will be lower, each heart beat will have a higher stroke volume and it occurs when you've been pushing yourself for longer periods at a harder rate.
Working within your heart's limits is important - no coronaries round here please! But here are a couple of places where you can go to spill your heart out (and no I don't mean match.com):
What's your resting heart rate and what are you doing to get it lower? Join the Heart Rate Training Tribe and take on some of our Heart Rate Challenges!
- The Top Tribesports Workouts
- Should men wear shorts over their running tights?
- TRIBESPORTS TEAMS UP WITH PARKRUN
- Take the Jantastic New Year Challenge!
- New layout on our store - make sure you can still find the community!
- 5 Superfoods to Boost Your Workout (Backed by Science!)
- Winner of the #ownyourmarks vote
- The Importance of a Rest Day
- Vote for September's #OwnYourMarks Winner!
- Tribesports User of the Week: Monica S